On, December 9, 2020, OBEA had another outstanding, virtual event: Focus on Financial Literacy. Our guest speakers were Laveen Jose, from the Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario (CPA-Ontario), and the Canadian Foundation for Economic Education (CFEE) represented by Kevin Maynard and his colleagues: Terri Williams, Greg Masiewich, and Susan Lennox.
Watch a recording of this event:
Both CPA Ontario and CFEE shared a wealth of exceptional teaching resources that are ideal for helping Business Studies, Financial Literacy, and SHSM instructors deliver impactful lessons to their students, both in-class and online.
The following is a synopsis of the resources that were presented:
- CPA Ontario:
- Teacher Colleague Program
- High School Ambassador Program
- Teacher Advisory Board
- Financial Literacy Workshops
- All-Ontario Webinars
- In-Class Virtual Workshops.
- Money and Youth: A Guide to Financial Literacy
- NextGen Edition: Lesson plans developed with articles from The Globe and Mail.
- FinLit 101: An online learning program for high school.
- E:SA: Entrepreneurship – The Spirit of Adventure: Videos featuring Canadian Entrepreneurs.
- Money and Monetary Policy: A unique partnership with the Bank of Canada. Useful for any Introduction to Business or Economics program.
- My Money, My Future a High School Youth Challenge:
A competition whereby high school students share their financial literacy knowledge with other students and potentially win a first-place monetary award of $10,000.
On behalf of OBEA, we wish to acknowledge and thank our guest speakers, once again, and we send our Best Wishes of the Holiday Season to everyone. Thank you for supporting and promoting Business Studies. We sincerely hope to see you in the New Year.
Bill Velos, OBEA President
Emily Marotta-Kulcsar, OBEA VP-Professional Development